- News & Features
- Real Estate
- MOST RECENT: Will Alex Trebek be our next governor general? (27 minutes ago)
“I’ll take Entertainers turned Politicians for $200, Alex.”
“This beloved Canadian game show host may vie for the position of governor general in about five years.”
“Who is, uh, you, Mr. Trebek?”
That’s right, Jeopardy host Alex Trebek let it slip yesterday that he may consider the post of governor general of Canada when he retires, perhaps in about five years. Trebek was in Ottawa to receive a medal from the Royal Canadian Geographical Society honouring his support of geographical education. The Canadian trivia whiz is involved with the Canadian Geographic Challenge, the National Geographic Bee and the National Geographic World Championship.
Trebek discussed his love affair with all things geography related but then turned his attention to future job opportunities. “You’ve just got a new governor general,” with a five-year term, he noted. “In five years, I’ll be ready to retire from showbiz,” teased Trebek. Would he consider returning to Ottawa to be governor general? “Absolutely.” Compared to other entertainers gone political—Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sonny Bono, Jesse Ventura—Trebek’s braininess and relatively dignified television career make him seem almost overqualified. He’ll just have to shake that pesky habit of answering questions before they’re asked.
by Lia Grainger November 5, 2010 at 11:49 am
- Canada’s new governor general: thinker, educator, rapper
- The GGGG: welcome to the Governor General Guessing Game
- Former governor general now shilling olive oil
- William Shatner won’t be our next governor general, but he totally should be
- Today in Toronto: Doc, Able Was I Ere I Heard Abel, Alex McLeod
- The Bay vs. Holts: the Bay’s scheme to steal the fashion crown from Holts 19
- Proposed law would make “tipping out” illegal at restaurants 18
- How Ford-friendly will the new council be? A councillor-by-councillor analysis 16
- Six highlights from the now-infamous “Coach Rob Ford” interview with CBC’s As It Happens 15
- Bloor West Village Guide: our 20 favourite places between High Park and the Humber 14
Comment on this post
Neither the author nor Toronto Life necessarily agrees with the comments posted below. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. Toronto Life reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely. Read our full policy
Links and Offers
- Behold the fairytale beauty of the exquisite Hôtel de Glace—just minutes away from Québec City. Be captivated by its sparkling magic for an unforgettable experience you’ll cherish forever.
- TradeKey.com – Trade with millions of wholesale suppliers and buyers at world fastest growing online B2B Marketplace
- Fashion4us is an online Asian fashion (Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese) wholesaler. Consumers will be satisfied with the original quality and huge discount on wholesale clothing collections.
- DHgate is a leading online marketplace for the world’s small and medium size businesses and the largest China wholesale products trading platform.
- CottageCountry.com – Your source for finding cottage rentals & private vacation homes across North America.
- Drug and Alcohol Treatment
- ALLERGIES? Want a healthier indoor environment? Window and Door Screen that STOPS POLLENS.
- Toronto Real Estate. Toronto’s largest agent website. New listings everyday!
Most popular stories this week
- Super Shopper: our monthly roundup of the city’s best stuff (1 hour ago)
- A coat rack that makes the bundling-up season brighter (1 day ago)
- We’re coveting these skinny cargo pants (1 day ago)
- Today in Toronto: Royal Agricultural Winter Fair, Gord Downie, Rendevous With Madness Film Festival (2 hours ago)
- Microsoft takes over Dundas Square for Kinect launch; will gamers pay more to look sillier? (20 hours ago)
- The Being Erica BS Detector: Season 3, Episode 7 (bad friend edition) (20 hours ago)
- Will Alex Trebek be our next governor general? (27 minutes ago)
- Kyle Rae vs. the Sun, round 97. Once more, with leather (2 hours ago)
- Stephen Harper’s naughty joke reveals that his humour software is working well (22 hours ago)
- Editorial Internships
- Marketplace classifieds
© 2010. All Rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part strictly prohibited. Toronto Life is a registered trademark of Toronto Life Publishing Company Limited
Will Alex Trebek be our next governor general?In Canada on November 5, 2010 at 12:42